Monday, October 13, 2008

One More Concrete Pour Left!!!! Yay!!!!



What a fantastic weekend we had for our last big concrete pour! It was cool on Saturday morning which made it nice weather to work in. We poured the sidewalk up to the front porch and then the small pad off the back of the garage and an even smaller pad for my air conditioner to sit on. They all turned out pretty nice. I even put my initials in the back slab by the garage. It seems that the truck drivers for R&R Concrete like to get their hands dirty. Every driver we have had has been more than willing to jump out of the truck to help move the concrete around, screed it off, float it...I think they just like to play in it. :) This driver was no different. When he grabbed the 2x4 and started helping Dad screed he said, "Do you want me to do this or do you want your wife to help you?" Uh...WIFE???? Do I really look like a 50 year old man's wife???? Dad took that comment to mean I looked very "mature". I took it that Dad must look like a dirty old man with a smokin' hot young wife! I'm sure you all agree with my assessment, right?

While Dad worked on finishing the concrete I worked inside putting a second coat of paint on my exterior doors to the garage. The ended up turning out very well! They are painted to match the siding. On the front porch this should allow more attention to be drawn to my front door as opposed to the door to the garage on the front porch.

Sunday I was stepping through the weeds in my septic field to get a picture of the house when I noticed THIS laying in the grass!

As many of you know...snakes are not my favorite thing...so I jumped and was ready to run when I took a second look at it and realized it was the belt that broke off the compactor on Friday night! I felt kind of silly, but relieved that I haven't seen a real snake at my house yet. :)

We also met with the cabinet guy this week. We've finalized all the plans, we are just waiting for updated drawings to kick them off. We are also waiting on our sample door to come in to make sure it is indeed what I want.

Alright...here is where I need some input from you fine people out there! I am trying to pick a stone to go on the front of the house. I have three options that I've narrowed it down to. All three have their pros and cons. So let me know what you think. Here are your options.

A. Desert Blend...This is a brown, but I'm afraid it might be too orangish brown.

B. Bucks County...This is a very good match, but I'm afraid it will look bad if there are too many of those light colors, like the bottom brick.

C. Earthen Blend...The browns in this match my siding color exactly...there are some nice contrasts with the gray and burgundy. My concern is that it won't stand out on the house if it matches the siding too close.

5 comments:

  1. Hey House looks like it is coming along great. I really like the earthen blend combo. The shape and sizes of the rocks works well with your house architecture. Just my two cents... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like Buck's Country. I think if you get some dark ones around the light one it will look ok. I liked Earthen Blend too, but too much dark, I think. House looking great. Bet you can't wait for it to be done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bucks Country for me. I like the contrast in colors of the stone. Everything looks GREAT. I too am glad that the belt was not a snack - - I HATE SNACKS TOO.

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine...I have a question for you...snack...is that like a counch?

    Thank you for the vote...I finalized my decision today and that is the color I'm going with. When are you coming out to see it in person?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have already decided, I will not trouble you with an engineers design opinion. However, I will be back in MI in a few weeks and can probably bring you all the real snakes you'd like, maybe even a rattler. (They look so nice curled up in a corner of a garage and would go well with any of the stone choices. Oh, and they eat voles and other small country creatures.)

    As a practicing member, I go with the dirty old man/smokin wife option.

    ReplyDelete