Ok, so I went to order my exterior doors last night. I didn't succeed in accomplishing that task.
I walk back to the door section with my manila folder of door information. I have a quote in hand for the front door I want...probably the most important of all my door selections. The other 3 doors should be pretty simple. As I approach the desk I see two young girls working with customers and a 16 year old boy available to help me. Ok, I'm exaggerating, he was probably over 16, but he looked about 16. I'm hoping that since he's working the door department he might have some knowledge of exterior doors, because I do have some questions I need answered. My hopes were dashed rather quickly.
I got to the point of asking him about steel doors. He says, "We have those in stock right here...why don't you pick one out." So we wander over to the in-stock door section. I see a $109 door and a $94 door. I ask the employee what the difference is between the two. He looks at me and says, "Uh...one is white and the other is gray." Yes...that is the answer he gave me. I just looked at him and said, "That's it?" He nodded his head. Hmm...
As I looked at the doors I said, "First of all these are 32" doors...do you have 36" in stock?" Blank stare..."Um...I don't know..." I asked, "This one is a Mastercraft and this is a Commander...is the Commander a lower model of Mastercraft or a different brand all together." Another blank stare..."Um...I don't know...I think they are different brands." I then asked, "Does this come with just a lockset bored without the deadbolt?" You guessed it...another blank stare. He then says, "Why don't we just build up the door you want on the computer and see what it costs?" Good idea Einstein...that's kind of what I suggested we do in the first place.
Needless to say...I did not order my doors last night. I called the store today to find out when JS will be working...a guy I went to high school with that I have spoken with in the past there. He has some knowledge about the parts he sells.
I was not rude to the employee that worked with me last night. I'm sure it's not his fault that he is working in a section he knows nothing about. I simply told him I had some more thinking to do and would come back another day to place my order. It's just that I will feel more comfortable that my order is going to be what I need if I work with someone else. Let's hope I succeed tomorrow.
Oh Tara. i love when people have no idea what you are talking about. And they say girls know nothing when it comes to construction! HA!!! You showed him. Maybe he needs some more" training"....or better yet....maybe he needs to understand the simple thing of...sales!! and learning aboutyour product you ARE selling. Good luck with your exterior doors!
ReplyDelete