Monday, June 9, 2008

Right On Man...



This last week a heat wave has hit Michigan. Holy cow was it hot working this weekend!

As you can see from the pictures, the roof is complete. (And you should also notice the luscious green grass in the picture...ok...maybe it's just weeds...but pretend with me will you?) The roofers completed the roof just in time too. It was a bit cooler through the beginning of the week, and cloudy, but without much rain. They finished sometime on Wednesday, and then the thunderstorms and 90 degree days started. Couldn't ask for better timing than that. I was a bit concerned when I first met the roofers this winter...it seemed the phrase of choice was "right on man"...I was concerned about the amount of marijuana that had passed through their system. Dad laughed at me. They did a very nice job on the roof though. Maybe not a "Mike Crower" job...but good enough for who it's for. :)

Saturday started with a trip to the Midland landfill. We had an up close and personal experience with the smell of the dump. Actually, Saturday it did not smell too bad. There are many days when just driving by it makes me want to gag. Luckily Saturday was not one of them. We unloaded all the scraps of shingles and trash that filled our trailer from the roofers. We then loaded the remaining shingles into the trailer to return them to Lowes. Man oh man...are those suckers HEAVY! I'm glad I'm not a roofer...and I feel very sorry for the guy that was helping our roofer out last Sunday, hauling them up the ladder one bundle at a time! From Lowe's we went out to our excavator's place to borrow his compactor. When we finally arrived back at the house Grandpa was there and ready to work. So Grandpa ran the compactor around the garage while Dad and I hauled wheelbarrows of sand in and leveled it out.
Sunday started with a trip to fill up our garbage cans with stone for the window wells. I transported all of the stone to start filling up the newly constructed window wells. Dad finished getting ready to pour concrete in the garage. At the end of the day, we were just finishing up when one of my neighbors came down with a cooler of frosty barley pops. Perfect timing...we had a couple with him and gave him the tour of the house.
We're hoping to pour the garage floor one evening this week. We have to get with Rick to find out what his schedule is, and Grandpa said he'd be good working for a couple hours. Maybe I'll have some pictures of the garage floor to put up by the end of the week.
I hope everyone's weekend went well and that you all managed to stay cool.

2 comments:

  1. oh, i'm so excited for you Tara Lynn! Your place is looking wonderful! I agree with you...it was nasty hot this weekend...and we were only sitting outside, not lifting a finger! we were at the midland art fair this weekend, and I was really hoping that I would have a chance to come over...but, we ended up staying there all weekend (MIL had a booth) Maybe next time!
    miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tara, did you ever think your roofers might read your blog?

    right on man!! lol, at least they didn't fall off. love ya, the fave aunt nora

    ReplyDelete