Paint colors Jenn? I don't think we're quite there yet. How are you with a shovel, wheelbarrow, and hammer?
In the next couple weeks I'm going to have a big hole in the ground that I'm supposed to fill with a house. While I knew this was going to be a huge time commitment and quite an undertaking, the reality of the size of this project is starting to finally sink in.
I wanted to to start this project 3 or 4 years ago. And we did...however it didn't move along as quickly as I would have hoped. For one reason or another we didn't actually dig a hole any of those years. I am an impatient person...when I get an idea in my head I want it done now. That is exactly the opposite of the way my father works. He is meticulous in everything he does and works very thoroughly through each project. While this may be frustrating for a person like me, it is a very good thing when undertaking a project of this magnitude. If I would have had it done my way I'm sure I would have a hole, maybe half of a house, and zero dollars. As the time draws near for the actual start of construction I am thankful for all the hard work he has put into the preparation. I know that as we jump into this with both feet, I will be thankful for all the rest of the work he will do to make sure this house goes up smoothly. I also know that the perfectionist in him will make the quality of this house higher than most people could ever realize.
While Jenn awaits the day I call her to tell her the story of me going up one side and down the other of a contractor who underestimates my knowledge...I don't know if that call will ever happen. I will leave those arguments up to Dad. I am an engineer, not a builder, and I really know nothing about building a house. Dad knows how to build a house and I'm looking forward to learning from him so that if I ever decide to build another one maybe I can give Jenn that story she is looking for.
So please feel free to drop in and check my progress once in awhile. I will try to be fairly regular with my updates and pictures. Also feel free to drop comments and/or uplifting and humorous words of encouragement if I sound a bit frazzled.
I'm cool with things like shovels, wheelbarrows and hammers.
ReplyDeleteAs long as you're cool with things like ice and margarita's.
:))
I am also cool with shovels, etc. . .especially since I already promised labor for.ev.er. And even though I promised to work for free, I especially enjoy ice and margaritas afterwards!!!
ReplyDeleteI too eagerly await the day that you prove vehemently, with many large and/or choice words, to that ignorant chauvinistic worker that you are not just a pretty face. I taught my sister better than that. ;)
Good luck, Middle Crow!