After listening to the weather forecast for last weekend I was ready to haul out the long underwear again for the construction work. The weather was surprisingly mild though. Saturday it did rain and snow, but I was inside and working hard, so I was plenty warm. Sunday was supposed to be mid-30s and turned out to be mid-40s instead. What a fantastic surprise!
The last couple weeks have been rather frustrating.
First off, I placed an order online for some exhaust fans, grilles, and duct work for the bathroom fans. I knew something was amiss when I entered my credit card information, pressed the finalize order button, and got sent to the mother company web page without an order confirmation number or an order confirmation email. Since it was a Sunday, I sent an email to the company asking for their assistance. The gentleman from the company replied with "Are you sure you were on our website?" What the hell? Of course I was on his website or I wouldn't be contacting him!!!!! Please do not insult me with ridiculous questions. I followed up with a phone call and had to re-order everything on the phone. I was assured that everything would be shipped out in the next 20 minutes, but it couldn't be next day for free because I was only a state away and it will only take 2 days to get there. That was Monday...I received my items on Thursday...being the intelligent engineer that I am...I pulled out my calculator and figured out that it was in fact 3 days. Ok, I can deal with that...the kicker was that I was missing a fan. I called the ever so helpful vendor AGAIN, telling them that they were holding up my project and that I needed the fan Saturday...no shipping charge. Well I was told that because it was UPS's fault that I didn't receive my package because they failed to pick it up, I couldn't get it Saturday unless I wanted to pay the $50 Saturday shipping cost. The woman I spoke to told me the fan was shipped out Friday morning..."It will be there Monday"...Guess what...no fan. This company is just amazing in their customer service attempts! Luckily, once I get the fan I will not have to deal with them again.
On top of that...my plumber promised that he would start last week Monday. I visit my house everyday on the way home from work now...just to say hi and to tell it that I really will move in sometime this summer...ok...it's really to check on the progress of the plumber. He finally showed up Wednesday, did a minimal amount of work, putting in drains for 3 sinks. I have 7 sinks in my house. No progress Thursday. Friday a washing machine hookup appeared. No work yesterday either.
I am currently shopping for exterior doors. That is my job, 100%. Do I know what I'm looking for? Sort of. I found the door that I REALLY want in a magazine. It's $1000...for a DOOR! So...I've started looking for comparable glass styles. Unfortunately I already have my heart set on the most expensive door I could find...therefore finding something comparable in a significantly cheaper door has been somewhat difficult. I've found glass that I like, but it doesn't come in a wood grain, stainable (or even better...pre-finished stained), fiberglass door. I'm hoping to have a solution soon. And that is only my front door...I have 3 other exterior doors to decide upon too...such decisions...
This weekend Dad worked on the exhaust fans for the bathrooms, routing duct work and such...using his newly constructed catwalk in the attic space! :) I finished putting in cabinet blocking in the kitchen...2x6, 2x10, and 2x12's to attach the cabinets too when we get to that point. I also put in some drapery blocking...to attach my window treatments to in the other rooms. There are all these little things that come up and have to be done that I never would have thought of...they all make sense...but I never would have thought of needing them.
Sunday I skipped out of work early. A "kid" I knew from coaching swimming has joined a professional dance troupe...and they were performing in Saginaw. He was FANTASTIC! The show is a Broadway show called Movin' Out. It is 100% Billy Joel music and they use it to tell the story of three guys during the Vietnam war. It is an amazing show and I would suggest to anyone that has the opportunity to go see it!
Ok...I have some pictures of the minimal plumbing work...but I forgot my camera today. I'll try to put some up tonight. Have a fantastic week!
No comments:
Post a Comment