Monday, August 4, 2008

Paint, Ceilings, Siding, and Lake Tara

This weekend was another productive weekend. It looks as though things are moving along quite smoothly and quickly right now.

Grandpa and I finished siding the South side of the house on Saturday. The two small sections of wall where the bathroom comes out from the wall need siding. Most of the pieces are cut for that though...I just have to draw some lines to keep them level because it is real easy to get them cocked at an angle on those small pieces. Mom and I finished siding some of the back side yesterday.

Dad keeps trying to get ahead of us laying out the siding, so we can go to town, but he got busy playing in Lake Tara yesterday and is not quite far enough ahead of us right now. Since they have pushed the topsoil off to the side in preparation for fill dirt I have a huge section of exposed clay in my side yard. We've had a couple big rains in the last few weeks and the clay does not allow the water to drain, therefore I have a lake in my side yard. So Dad dons his yellow rubber boots, takes a pump and a shovel, and heads out to play in the mud to try to dry it out. That's what he did for a good portion of the day yesterday. I had to get a picture of it, because as you can tell, it's a pretty good look for him.

The drywallers were back this weekend too. They were patching up a few areas and texturing the ceilings. All of the ceilings were finished yesterday. I had a knockdown texture put on. I've posted a picture, but it's kind of hard to tell the texture. The mud goes on as a brownish color, but dries white...it's kind of interesting. There are still a couple patches he needs to make on the walls, but it's looking really good.



We had a nice surprise yesterday. Grammy and Grampa McKibbin stopped by to check on the progress! I haven't seen them in quite awhile so I was happy that they stopped out. Grammy brought her delicious magic bars for us too! I LOVE those things. She said they aren't her best batch, but I tried to make them once and they didn't turn out so well. So Grammy's worst is still better than my best attempt! I haven't broken into them yet, but I definitely will tonight. :) Thanks Grammy!

I took Friday afternoon off, so Mom, Laura and I went shopping for carpet, tile and paint colors. I found some fantastic carpet and the lady at the store helped me match some paint colors to it. I am no longer keeping my walls white! I know that will make Hannah and Laura happy too. :) Most of the walls will be a pretty neutral color, but not white. I'll add some accent colors into the walls in the rest of the house as we go, but after talking to the women at the decorating store I was pretty excited to not be keeping my walls white.

My neighbors down the street had a Jimmy Buffett themed "get to know your neighbors" party on Saturday night. It was a pretty good time. I cut out of the house a bit early to head down and meet my neighbors. The neighborhood is a great neighborhood with some fantastic people living there.

Mom and Laura have a national softball tournament in Buffalo, New York this week/weekend. It looks like Dad is going to go with them. So they are leaving on Wednesday and returning Sunday. Hopefully Dad will get far enough ahead in the next couple evenings that Grandpa and I can still work on siding next weekend.

We picked up a bit of cedar yesterday for fascia. So I will be painting those boards in the evenings this week. Jenn, you've got another chance to help paint! I'll see you this evening at the house? :)

I hope everyone had a great weekend...Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment